Skip to main content

Opera and the Rhythms of Nature

You feel us when the sun is hidden in the daytime by the rain falling in drenching sheets. We are in the rocks that tower above your tiny winding road, in the convulsions of the deep earth that raze your cities, in the winds that howl around a lonely coast. I, the Earth provide the fuel that lights your Fire, yet poisons the Air. The Water in the seas is rising with the melting ice. All that we know is slowly disappearing, together with the giant bears that still haunt the ice under the lonely northern skies. A great storm is coming.

And yet….

Ours are the rhythms that end all things, only to begin once more.

You are with us when you meet with the Oneness. We are the five ‘elements’ conceived in ancient Hindu thought – Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Sky. Ours are the rhythms that brought life into being. Ours are the rhythms that pulse through opera, from Julie Taymor’s airy ‘Magic Flute’ to Rusalka’s watery home, to her eyes raised to the sky, singing to a radiant moon. To the fiery reds of Turandot. As for me, the Earth? Tell me which opera reminds you of me.

Air

I am the sweetness of the first breath in your body, and your last, in darkness and in light. I fill the sails of the wanderer and I sweep the desert sands into the roots of the rainforest. And Pamina into Tamino’s arms. Mine are the rhythms of this spinning Earth. I - am Air.

Water

I spewed from the earth, with the scalding lava of its ancient depths and I fell gently as rain on its thirsty surface. I gathered in its hollows as the great oceans, and here in this darkness, I gave birth to life. The light fades quickly in my mysterious depths, where, in the blink of an eye, I bury your plastics and your wastes. And Rusalka’s dreams.

Mine are the rhythms of our glorious moon. I - am Water.

Sky

I am emptiness, the hard vacuum of space. I toss over Earth the soft blanket of matter, through which the sun’s fire dims before it reaches you. And I sent a fairy once to a young girl’s side, so that she could step into the world with stars glittering in her skirts and dance the night away until midnight struck. Mine are the rhythms of day and night. I – am Sky.

Fire

I am the primordial heat buried deep in the Earth’s core. I was born in its distant past, when wandering alien bodies collided frequently, violently, with our infant planet. I am the sunshine dancing in the green of spring. Fling your darkness into my core and I will purify it. Just as two children once did, inside a cottage made of cake, deep in a magical forest.

Mine are the rhythms of creation and destruction, of condemnation and regeneration. I – am Fire.

Earth

In my heart I conceal water and air and fire. Close to my surface lies the thin smear of life, with freezing space above and searing heat below. I hold the key to the mysterious life that lived itself out before your time. I am the wisdom of a billion years and even after you, I will be here. Again I ask, which opera reminds you of me?

Mine are the rhythms of time. I - am Earth.

From ancient Hindu thought to contemporary India, witness the rhythms of Air, Earth, Water and Fire in the video below. Let the meaning of the lyrics fly elusively around your senses like the northern lights on a cloud-kissed night.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost Ship and the Wounded Bird: Lucia di Lammermoor

‘Lucia di Lammermoor’ got the young boys in the class of Met Opera educator, Dr Emily Saenz, singing ‘The Ghost Ship’ – a sea shanty by Don Besig and Nancy Price. Here is the refrain – ‘And the cold wind blew…..’. The winds that blew over Lammermoor were indeed cold on the forehead of Edgar, the Master of Ravenswood, protagonist of Sir Walter Scott’s novel ‘Bride of Lammermoor’. A dashing gentleman, Ravenswood, fierce, alone in the world, temporarily overshadowed by family misfortune, yet with all his life ahead of him. Time and the political fortunes have brought his old and noble family to its knees and Ravenswood swears vengeance on those who displaced them. Instead, he falls in love with Lucy, the daughter of his family’s enemy. Ravenswood now wants to reconcile, and the reader may fully expect him to be lucky, especially as the politics in London turn is his favour. Yet, this young man appears to be the ghost ship of that sea shanty, rudderless in the wild ocean. Where did those

Hansel and Gretel and a Walk in Calcutta

St James Church, Calcutta   (PC Team Walk Calcutta Walk)) With our hemisphere hurrying towards the dark Solstice, family traditions around food are uppermost in everyone’s minds and the season brings with it Humperdinck’s opera ‘Hansel and Gretel’. The setting in the meagerly provisioned kitchen of the children’s family home, in the haunted woods with its dream feast and in the risky kitchen of the witch, blends seamlessly with our everyday lives of hunger, desire and hope. In Calcutta, where I live, two of my friends, Deep and Ayon, have thought up a new tradition of food around the Solstice. On the first Sunday of December this year, we were on a trail that was strongly reminiscent of Hansel and Gretel’s forest walk. Throughout the year, Ayon and Deep take their friends out to explore cultural and historical traditions in the city. Because they walk everywhere, their group is named ‘Walk Calcutta Walk’. This was our first time exploring old bakeries. And because it was close to C